Saturday, September 6, 2014

Spicy Dill Okra Pickles

Moving to the South, one of the things that kind of come with the territory is leaning to like/love okra.  My son LOVES okra and I think the rest of us come in some where in between Like and Love. This past year I got the chance on several occasions to taste test some pickled okra and it was really tasty. So.. this got my wheels turning wondering if I could can them as well. I have always been a big fan of the pickled vegetables that you can get at your super market, but they usually have a high price tag. So this is my first and very successful attempt at spicy pickled okra.

Spicy Dill Pickled Okra

3 Lbs Small 1"- 2" Raw Okra
10-12 Jalapeno Peppers. Sliced in half
1 Pkg. Mrs. Wages Dill Pickle Mix.. (I totally Cheat)
Vinegar

Wash Okra and leave set in ice water for 10 min. Be sure to remove all dirt and rinse several time before adding the ice. Prepare Jars, lids and rings. To make sure that my sterile jars stay super hot I put about 3/4 of the jar full with water and then put them in the microwave and heat for 6 minutes for 6 jars. Prepare Mrs. Wages Dill Pickle Mix as directed on the package and add some finely chopped Jalapenos to the mixture. When the brine is ready, remove the okra from the ice water and lay out on paper towels - Pat dry! Start to arrange dry okra in your jelly or pint jars by putting the heads down in the bottom of your jar. Add several pieces of the halved jalapenos to the jar at this time. When jar is full at the bottom start adding the okra bottom first until the entire jar is full. Pour over hot brine and top with hot jar lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from hot water bath and leave sit out on counter for 24 hours before storing. Wait up to 4 weeks before opening. (if you can) ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...