Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Refrigerator Pickles

I don't think that there is much more yummy that a crisp pickle perfectly chilled! I love pickles and I went through Jars and Jars of them when I was pregnant, but now that we have closed that chapter in our lives...doesn't mean that my love for them has subsided in any way shape or form. My sister Priscilla gave me this recipe a year or so back and I am not exaggerating at all when I say that I could very easily eat over half a jar in one setting. They are fabulous and are the perfect blend between sweet, spicy, and perfect. As the title implies...these are meant to be kept in the refrigerator, but I sealed mine up and ate them all winter. I love these...and you will too!

Refrigerator Pickles

4 C. Sugar
4 C. White Vinegar
1/2 C. Pickling Salt
1 1/3 Tsp. Turmeric
1 1/3 Tsp. Celery Seed
1 1/3 Tsp. Mustard Seed
3 Onions - Sliced very Thin
Cucumbers - Sliced Thin

In large cooking pot mix all ingredients together and boil for 10 min. Place cucumbers, and onions in hot jars in a layering pattern and pour the brine over the top, wipe tops of jars off to make sure no salt or brine has gotten on the rim. Place hot lid and screw top ring on jars and invert for 5 min. If you work very quickly...you will be able to get these to seal without processing them in a water bath or pressure cooker. If kept in the fridge allow 5 days before eating! This recipe will make enough for up to 5 Pints.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...